Long-Term Ecological Research (LTER) All Scientists Meeting
The 2012 LTER All Scientists Meeting (ASM) will take place from September 10-13 in Estes Park, Colorado.
Website for the meeting: http://asm2012.lternet.edu
We encourage as many people from the Andrews Forest LTER to attend as possible. This is an important meeting in a beautiful location, and a great opportunity to network with other researchers and students to meet and interchange ideas. One important part of this meeting is the development of working groups focused on specific topics and goals. There is also a graduate student Symposium on September 9, the day before the main ASM begins.
- April 1 - Working Group Submission Opens
- April 30 - Nominations for International Support Due
- May 1 - Poster Submission and Housing Reservation Opens
- May 21 - Travel Support Requests Due
- June 1 - Meeting Registration Opens
- June 30 - Housing Reservation Closes; Room block released
- August 1 - Working Group and Poster Submission closes (Late Posters accepted up to the poster limit of 400)
- TO APPLY FOR TRAVEL SUPPORT
- TRAVEL SUPPORT FOR INTERNATIONAL LTER PERSONNEL
- AIR AND GROUND TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS
- REGISTRATION FEE
- CALL FOR WORKING GROUP PROPOSALS
- DRAFT AGENDA
TO APPLY FOR TRAVEL SUPPORT (April 18 Deadline)
The LTER Network Office and the Andrews Forest LTER grant will provide travel funds for up to 20 researchers and students from the Andrews Forest LTER to attend the ASM. Travel support will cover airfare, shuttle, registration, food and lodging.
Given the limited number of funded travel slots, support for everyone interested in attending is not guaranteed. The Andrews Forest LTER Executive Committee will make selections based on the following criteria:
- existing and continuing research with the Andrews Forest LTER Program
- willingness to organize/co-organize either a working group or workshop (more information and submission form can be found at http://asm2012.lternet.edu).
- submission of a poster
- existing collaborations across the LTER Network
TO NOMINATE YOURSELF FOR TRAVEL SUPPORT FOR THE ASM MEETING please email Lina DiGregorio by April 18, with a short paragraph that expresses your interest and addresses the four criteria listed above.
TRAVEL SUPPORT FOR INTERNATIONAL LTER PERSONNEL (April 30 Deadline)
The US LTER International Committee has $30K to support travel by International LTER personnel to attend the LTER All Scientists Meeting in September, 2012. We anticipate giving partial support to at least 10 people.
Nominations for international scientists, information managers, and students to invite are being requested. To submit a nomination, please send the following for your nominee:
- Complete contact information
- A statement describing why the individual should be invited to attend ASM. Include what working groups this individual will participate in or co-organize. State what products, such as a proposal, you want to work on with your nominee.
- What amount of travel support would this individual require in order to attend?
- How is this individual involved with the ILTER? (e.g., as a site PI, IM, scientist associated with site X)
Please submit your nominations by April 30, 2012 to Kristin Vanderbilt or Bill McDowell, US International Committee Co-Chairs. Decisions must be made soon to allow visas to be obtained and travel arranged.
ACCOMMODATIONS (June 30 Deadline)
YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park, CO: http://www.ymcarockies.org/estes-park-center-colorado.html
Because space at the YMCA is limited (as is the LNO budget), we must ask participants to share rooms. We suggest that you begin to organize rooming arrangements as soon as possible. Many of the rooms at the YMCA can sleep more than two people, and costs are proportionately reduced if several people share a room. You will reserve and pay the YMCA directly, and you will receive a room confirmation directly from them. It will be wise for people to select their roommates and make their reservations as soon as they know they will be attending.
Note that LTER information managers, graduate students, and education representatives will be having pre-ASM meetings on Sunday, September 9th, and will need to arrive on Saturday the 8th. These groups of people will need to identify themselves when they register with the YMCA to assure that they are put into the right lodge. The YMCA registration form will have a means for identifying these groups of participants.
Each traveler should make their own flight arrangements to Denver International Airport. Shuttle service is available from DIA to the YMCA of the Rockies, and participants will need to make your own round-trip shuttle reservations. Information on the shuttle service will be posted on the ASM 2009 web page at http://asm2012.lternet.edu.
All participants, whether funded by LNO or not, will have to register and pay a registration fee to help cover the costs for breaks and other incidentals. Registration will be via the ASM web page and the options to pay will include credit cards. Registration information will go out around June 1.