HJ Andrews Experimental Forest Map
The most current version of the Andrews Experimental Forest map is from 2011. It is formatted to be a brochure on one side, and a map on the other. It is pre-folded for ease of use. The map was produced using ESRI ArcMap software, and while hard copies were printed, this map will be updated as data changes, and posted on this site. Hard copies of the map are available in the Corvallis Forestry Sciences Lab and at the HJ Andrews Experimental Forest Headquarters.
The data sources are from the US Forest Service Research Station and the Willamette National Forest. The base topography on this map is from the 2008 LiDAR survey of the Andrews. New road and stream layers were also created from the LiDAR data. The road numbers and status were checked in the field by Andrews staff, and the climate stations and stream gages have been located by high precision GPS.
- HJ Andrews Geo-Enabled Map (PDF, 28MB, 2017):
- Based on the 2011 HJ Andrews map including any subsequent updates and created to be geo-enabled. To use geo-enabled features, users will need to download a geopdf application (such as PDF Maps or Avenza Maps) on to their GPS-enabled Android or IOS mobile device in order to view the map in the field.
- HJ Andrews Map (jpg):
- Low resolution file of the 2011 HJ Andrews map.
- HJ Andrews Map (PDF, 653MB): A very high resolution file of the 2011 HJ Andrews map. This file will take time to view to screen. However, right click to download directly.
- Backside of 2011 HJ Andrews Map above
Study site maps
- HJ Andrews Study Site Map (PDF, 652MB, 2012):
- File of study site locations for the HJ Andrews Experimental Forest created from updates of the 2011 version.
- HJ Andrews Study Site Map (PDF, 212MB):
- File of study site locations for the HJ Andrews Experimental Forest created from the 2004 version.
Interactive maps are built on a geospatial reference and allow users to select and deselect desired features (layers and sublayers). A legend provides identification of a particular feature. User specificed maps can be created and saved. The following interactive maps are available for the HJ Andrews Experimental Forest:
- Study Site Locations on the HJ Andrews Experimental Forest
- This interactive map was created using the 2011 HJ Andrews base map, including any subsequent changes, and allows users to select (turn on and off) various study site locations across the HJ Andrews Experimental Forest.
- Soils Data for the HJ Andrews Experimental Forest
- This interactive map was created using the Soil Survey Geographic Database (SSURGO) National Cooperative Soil Survey data collected in 2014 (referred to as new soil survey) in addition to original 1964 data and other geological and soils data for the HJ Andrews Experimental Forest.
Using the 2011 HJ Andrews Map base with ArcMap
You can create your own version of the 2011 HJ Andrews Map (with additional GIS Data) by doing the following:
- In ArcMap click on the Add Data icon, browse to GIS Servers, select Add ArcGIS Server, select Use GIS Services and select Next, choose an Internet Server URL and type in http://cypress.forestry.oregonstate.edu:6080/arcgis/rest/services and click on finish.
- From the next list select HJA and then select hja_base2011 and click on the Add button
- The base map is then available for you to add your own points. Note that it is in NAD 83, so make appropriate adjustments.